All eligible applicants will be judged on the following criteria in consideration of the Small Business of the Year Award:
- Business Growth and Performance
- Business Strategies and Goals
- Community Engagement
- Customer and Employee Relation Practices
- Innovation Business Strategies and Practices
- A panel of judges will select eighteen (18) finalists in consideration for each of the five (5) Business Achievement Awards and the one (1) Dream Big Small Business of the Year Award. Finalists will be notified of their selection in early-July 2017.
- A final judging panel will select one (1) finalist as the winner of each Business Achievement Award and the Dream Big Small Business of the Year of Award. Finalists can only be selected as a winner for one (1) award.
- The winner of the Dream Big Small Business of the Year Award will be announced on September 12, 2017 at the Dream Big Awards Celebration in Washington, D.C. Winners of the Business Achievement Award categories will also be announced at the Dream Big Awards Celebration.
COMMUNITY EXCELLENCE AWARD SELECTION PROCESS
- Each of the eighteen (18) finalists will be entered into an online ballot in consideration for the Community Excellence Award.
- Online voting will allow the people who know a company best—its customers, employees, and neighbors—to cast a vote for their favorite business.
- A panel of judges will select the final award winner using an evaluation process based on three primary criteria: community leadership, community engagement and contribution to the economic development of the community.
- Each business’ score will be combined with the online voting total to reach a final judging score. The online voting total will only account for 30% of a business’ final score. 70% of the final score is determined by judges’ evaluation.
- The business with the highest, final score will be selected as the winner of the Community Excellence Award. The award announcement will take place on September 12, 2017 at the Dream Big Awards Celebration in Washington, D.C.
Disclaimer: MetLife has no influence or involvement in the selection of Dream Big Small Business of the Year Award program winners.